Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Are you lucky?

Those are the instructions given to mariners sailing to the New World - I only wish my navigation was so simple. Somedays I have brilliant sucess and other days dismal failure. Yesturday I experienced both. I ask for direction at a gas station on the edge of a city, the Spanish are generous with time and kindness in helping wayward strangers, however, it is like memorising the hand signals of an orhester conductor or perhaps, a priest giving a blessing. More then an hour later I bike past the same gas station after a stint on the motorway.
Then in the evening I need to find a village not marked on the map, then find the house of a woman named Angel to get the key to the hostel. I expected to be there by 4pm, but I had a series of punctures. I´m ruthless in reducing the weight on the bike, I hyrate at a bar instead of refilling my water bottle and can,t find the pin-hole puncture in the growing darkness without water. The yellow arrows painted on the road or walls cannot be seen in the darkness, despite all this I´m safe and warm in the hostel by 7pm.
Tomorrow I leave the bike at auberge at San Vincente, near Sandander, and set off to walk the Camino along the coast for two weeks.

1 comment: