Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Finest Beach in the World

That is what one guide book calls the 20km beach at Cucao on the Pacific coast of Chilloe. It is spectactual and just as desolate as when Darwin dropped by. No development just intimidating thundering surf, nothing like the occaisional tsumani to sweep it clean. I biked on the next day through pouring rain, the gortex and marino keeping balance of  rain in and sweat out. Pushing the bike up long inclines kept me warm. I´d stop at bus shelters for a quick brew-up of tea. My homemade beer can alcohol stove works brilliantly.

The Pan American is a ribbon of juggernauts blasting inches away until the final day when it was reduced to a single lane and the mountain bike ruled. I passed the long lines of waiting traffic and bounced throught the mud, rocks and flooded washouts.

Next I go back to the mainland in search of the 3000 year old trees, the only new things here are the earthquakes and volcanoes.

2 comments:

  1. Hugh its luke. Im off the coast of Chile. Puerto Mont Jan 1. You around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you are in my beloved patagonia. Please say hello to the wind, the sea, the land, the animals and the endless sky.

    ReplyDelete